Sunday, May 25, 2014

T - Thank You

This 'Thank You' is especially for my mom and dad for the awesome parenting skills that they have. After becoming a mother, I have finally come to appreciate how difficult it is to be a good parent and what amazing parents you have been. 

Being a parent is a demanding 24x7 work. Starting from the initial days, when your kid is small and totally dependent on you. Right from the frequent all day-night feedings & nappy changes to the colic attacks and regular vaccinations, you have a very hectic schedule and very less rest. All the time, you have to weigh & make choices for your kid - whether to bottle feed or not, should you use pacifiers, when to start potty training, when to ween him away, how to set up a routine, et all. You try to get reliable information on everything, weigh the pros and cons & hope that the choice you made is the best one. Then there are people who are ready to advice all the time, which are many a times good and practical ones but in your insecurity about your parenting skills, you sometimes take as criticism. Only to later try and incorporate some of those into your ways!

With Shaurya into his "Terrible Two's" now, good parenting has become even more crucial. He is like a sponge who absorbs everything that is around him. I & M have to be really aware of what he is surrounded with. If sometimes we get angry and say something, Shaurya picks it up fast and tries to inculcate in his actions. Sometimes we use some words/lines and then see him using it the next time. Like I say 'Kya kar rahe ho... ' quite often... and now Shaurya has started saying 'Kya kar rahe ho papa'/'Kya kar rahe ho mummy' :-) We are live role models for him and his attitude is a reflection of what we do! A very Tough Job!! Though the good thing is, you just have to be good role models and your kid will grasp those too. So its easy that way. Teaching Shaurya his, 'Please' , 'Thank Yous' & 'Welcomes' have been easy. He learnt early on when to use what, he even says 'Thank You God' every morning and night!

Many a times, I lose my patience whether it is his constant chatter or when he throws some tantrum or when I put a lot of effort to prepare his food but he doesn't eat, gets hungry and then cranky coz of hunger (a vicious cycle..).  And I am ashamed that I have shouted at him in such occasions and a couple of times slapped him and cried too.. :-( :-( Parenthood is very very difficult and hence I am all the more grateful for the way my mom and dad have handled it. I do not remember ever getting a scolding from you though I am sure I might have done similar (or worse) things as a kid and even now as an adult. You constantly worry about me and how I am doing things and I realize now that being a parent means always being concerned and worried about your kids well being. I hope I can learn to handle things with Shaurya, the way you did with us - with lots of love, patience and good sense. To my wonderful mom and dad, 'Thank you' for all your love. Love you a lot! 


No comments: