Friday, May 23, 2014

R – Red

I love the color Red. One of the three primary colors, I feel it’s the most vibrant one. I do like all the other colors as well, however Red is my absolute favourite.  It signifies energy, power and passion. It’s a bright color which demands attention and immediately lifts your confidence. While googling a little on it today, I realized that it also represents both the extremes of emotions; that is happiness as well as sadness.  There are numerous powerful phrases associated with it, be it the Red carpet events, Red letter days or Red lighted VIP cars. There are so many different shades of red – cherry red, blood red, crimson, ruby red, maroon, et all. But the best one remains the pure solid Red.  Being a Hindu, Red has always been a vital part of all our celebrations and rituals. Starting with the long red tikka and holy rice that is put on the forehead, the sacred red thread ‘moli’ that is tied on the wrist, the bright red sindoor on a married women to all the Red dresses and paraphernalia which is part of our festivities and especially a bride’s trousseau. Even the mehendi leaves a beautiful maroonish shade on the hands.

I have some beautiful Red sarees but one in particular is my favourite. Bought it from Bangalore when I went shopping with my friend Amu’s mom. I was not actually planning to buy a saree or anything for that matter but aunty said it looked lovely and insisted that I buy it. She said I was about to get married and would get ample opportunities to wear it. Thanks to Aunty for the suggestion! :-) It is one of the most beautiful shade of Red with rich golden work on it. I love wearing it in Puja’s and have worn it many times including on my first karwa chauth as well. (The only problem with heavy sarees though is you can’t repeat them often as either ppl remember or you end up wearing same one in all your pictures).

I remember in Bangalore, whenever I went shopping for clothes, out of the lot I used to like the Red Shirts/ T-shirts only. My friends had to actually stop me from buying further Red since most of my wardrobe was filled with that color and they said, people will think I just have one thing which I am wearing again and again. :-D. I can’t help it, I think everyone looks good in Red. It oozes such natural vibrancy, it attracts me immediately. At one time, I used to wear bright Red nail polish a lot. Got quite a bit of scolding from my friends and roomies at that time to just do away with it. They thought it was too loud considering I used to wear it to office as well.  I had to relent.  My love for Red continues though..  When we were deciding on buying a car, we choose the fiery Red colored one. So you see, Red rules! ;-p. 
As a very famous advertisement once said, “Give me Red!”

No comments: