Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Aiming for My First 10K

On an impulse, I have registered for a 10 KM Walk/Run at Pune Womens Half Marathon 2019, though it will only be walking, no running for me ;-p. I registered at the end of Dec and at that time I was regular at my morning walks and thought setting a goal of this 10K event will be a good motivator. As it is scheduled in early March, it would give me some 8-9 weeks to prepare.

We had gone to our hometown in Odisha for December Holidays and after a good break of 3 weeks, I fell sick once back home in Pune. It took me a week to recover from viral flu, post which I caught a nasty ear infection. I had to start antibiotics for this and again it took me some own good time to bounce back to normal. 

So now with 4 weeks to the 10K event, I have started on my regular walks again. Though I will not be running, I have started short sprints of 1-2 mins of Slow Run aka Jog followed by 1-2 mins of walk. I do about 5 sets of these. And remaining time, I just concentrate on walking. My plan is to gradually increase the slow runs to 2-4 mins, with 1-2 mins of walk in between. I have not walked 10 km at a go yet, usually its a walk 3-4 kms at one go, but I hope to target to walk 5 km next week and then slowly increase it by another 2-3 kms in the next 2 weeks. I don't know if I should try & walk for 10 km before the event as well. Lets see, my training is evolving as I go. 

I want to be practical in my approach - just aim to complete the 10K event in a decent amount of time. On the D day, I want to complete it and not give up midway owing to fatigue. Wish me luck!


No comments: